I’ll be in Kansas City for the rest of the week, so expect only sporadic posting until Sunday. I have a temporary job between Wednesday and Saturday. I figured out why I got this job now: The college basketball tourney. I suppose the firm for which I’ll be working is expecting a sharp dropoff in productivity from its permanent employees on Thursday and Friday, and to a lesser extent, Saturday, because watching Kentucky beat Southwest Idaho State 125-62 is more important than trying to hold on to your job in a recession. As T.S. Eliot might have said, this is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but with a sneaker squeak.
Before I go, I’ll clear out my stack of stuff:
LOCAL AND REGIONAL
* He isn’t the first mayoral son to think that the city’s traffic ordinances don’t apply to him. My mother could tell you tales about Corey Cervantes, son of mayor Alfonso Cervantes.
Wait’ll they find out that smoking weed falls under the aegis of “smoking.”
* I guess in this case, they really didn’t want to taste the rainbow.
* Black and Jewish students at Berkeley are at each other’s necks over Farrakhan. However, Farrakhan was never in any danger — If he really wanted to make enemies at Berkeley, he would have made an Asian crack about Jeremy Lin.
* All I can say is, this is what happens when you get your freak on.
* They made him stand on a street curb and hold a sign that read, “I’m a thief.”
The sign was redundant.
* Speaking of being a thief. Can you spot the one obviously white person?
* Why wouldn’t Angela Davis be included? After all, not so long ago, she quit the Communist Party and became a plain ole Democrat because, paraphrasing her own words, the Democrats gave her enough of what she wanted.
* And why do “About 11 percent of Hispanic voters reportedly lack state-issued identification?”
Truthfully, it’s probably higher than that.
* Another one in the mold of Mike Tyson that likes biting ears.
Actually, not long after Mike Tyson bit Evander Holyfield’s ear, Marv Albert was accused of doing the same to at least one woman, though in that case, it was a subtext to much more serious allegations. I thought at the time that Mike Tyson and Marv Albert should go together on a “Bite Me” T-Shirt.
* I bet black diamond miners in Zimbabwe weren’t so mistreated when Ian Smith was in charge. Most of the same SWPL white liberals who are complaining about “blood diamonds” now were also bitching about apartheid and colonialism not so long ago. Do they not see the contradiction?