I’m going to clear out the Trump stories in my hopper before the weekend, and I’ll have this double as an open thread.
* Shorter David Brooks: I know I live in a bubble, so I’m going to come out of my bubble in order to give more bubble-driven lecturing to the untouchable untermenschen.
* Jonah Goldberg channels Sailer, basically says that if Trump ruins the Republican Party, (as if), that the Democrats will also soon fall apart, because KKKrazy Glue won’t be adhesive anymore.
* I actually think that of the women in Trump’s life, the two secret weapons are his first wife and his current wife. Ivana Trump is accomplished in the business world in her own right, and she heroically knocked back the tabloid driven marital rape non-scandal early in the campaign, stating that not only is it not true, it was just tabloid-driven gossip to sell dead tree and ink at the time of their divorce, that she was endorsing her ex-husband, thought he’d make a great President, and would do whatever she could in both the campaign and the White House. Melania Trump speaks five languages, the four other than English are French, Slovenian, Serbian and German, and in that, and in some other ways, she’s like Jackie Kennedy, and she can be a de facto Secretary of State.
* First off, I’ve already been through this — I know Trump is personally pro-abort, and is going to campaign and govern to the right of his propensities only for the purposes of political expediency. Second, I’m surprised that there is anyone remaining who is that unsophisticated so as not to realize that political party platforms are meaningless pieces of paper.
* I wouldn’t do that if I were you. Trump is that vindictive. You’re going to wake up on the morning of January 21 and find out that the newly inaugurated President Trump signed an executive order overnight to block permanently any Federal civil or criminal enforcement on the ‘Stones’ intellectual property rights.
* A reader e-mails me about this Elliott Abrams rant in WS, and states that:
Here’s a bit of a history lesson from Elliott Abrams, the ultimate neocon. He’s Norman Podhoretz’s son in law and J Pod’s brother in law. You’ll note the “hardliners” did NOT take back the Democratic party by Abrams’ own account.
I responded to him, and will state it again here:
Here’s another thing he leaves out: Nixon was such a non-conservative, honest history remembers him for administratively implementing and enforcing the Great Society’s legislative accomplishments and of making the “right” comfortable with statism, electing McGovern in ’72 would have seemed redundant. There’s no Democrat that had a chance to beat Nixon in ’72, except for George Wallace, and by ’72, the party mainstream had moved so far left that Wallace was a Democrat in name only, and also there was never any chance of the Democrats losing the House and Senate in ’72, as Nixon had no coattails. Abrams is just retconning what is and was foregone history for his own benefit.