Okay, which corporation is going to be the first this year to run ads wishing single mothers a happy Father’s Day? Last year, it was Georgia-Pacific.
LOCAL AND REGIONAL
* Along with the white elephant Downtown, there’s also a white elephant in Earth City to contend with.
* That’s no way for the 25th President of the United States to behave. Apropos his age.
* Think of a word that Brennan couldn’t bring himself to say. If you need a hint, see how I categorized this story.
* The bad news for him is that he will never get this Purple Heart, because Donald Trump and the NRA did Orlando.
* Federal employees give Federal employees a 99% approval rating. Well, really.
* The Clinton Crime Family Foundation will change if Hillary becomes President. A lot more dirty money rolling through it.
* Hillary Clinton had her Benghazi, and Bill Clinton had his.
* In California? Why? Are Democrats in some sort of danger there? Really now, they don’t have anything to worry about for statewide offices, Presidential, U.S. Senate. And the California legislature is going to remain comfortably in Democrat hands for a very long time to come. Maybe the purpose, thinking out loud here, is to influence marginal Congressional races, California does have some red team Congress/wo/men still.
* Remember the moving goalpost. This Asian is “diverse” when she’s a Dartmouth lit prof who wants tenure, but change her sex to man, her profession to CSIT, her geography to the Silicon Valley and her employer to a SV CSIT-STEM firm, and all of a sudden, he wouldn’t be counted as a “diverse” individual for the purpose at hand, that is, the row over the supposed lack of SV employee diversity.
* Here’s another one of my running themes — These yoots aren’t being charged in state court, they’re getting a Hobbs Act rap in Federal court. Since this happened in California, it would make sense, because California’s state prisons are overcrowded, and California is a blue state, and just like another blue state with overcrowded prisons much closer to us, Illinois, the Feds/Obama are coming in to find creative ways to swoop up what would ordinarily be thought of as state jurisdiction violent crimes as Federal crimes using curious interstate commerce justifications, so that the Feds can take these future inmates off the states’ hands, they can do their time in a Federal joint instead of a state one. Remember my theory about the sociopolitics of Federal prison deincarceration: It’s much more about opening up space for these kinds of inmates, not anything social justicey.
* Vox Day makes some really good points. But what I notice is that the biggest slide in trust came in the same time frame that is the core of the birth years of my generation, 1965 to 1980. I think that’s part coincidence and part cluster.
* Why are “fambly dollar” stores increasingly being robbed? Not just in Detroit, but also here, and everywhere. and I don’t think it’s any more complicated than the fact that there are more and more of them for one, and that most of their growth has come where they initially were to begin with, Bell Curve City. It would be like Zales opening up dozens of stores in the ghetto, and then we sit back and wonder why there’s a huge spike in Zales stores being robbed and burglarized.
One problem for the criminal disposition of cases against those who rob, burglarize and steal from “dollar” stores can be found in one of my snarky tweets from the night of the second set of Fergaza Strip riots, the November 24-25 ones after the no true bill: “Family Dollar being looted, tens of dollars of merchandise stolen.” If all you do is steal from a FD, without any feloniously menacing element (robbery, burglary), then it’ll be impossible for you to steal enough to get above the state threshold for felony stealing.
* How can this be? Zimbabwe is full of trillionaires.
* Same shit, different country. Notice toward the end that even in Germany, they’re complaining that Germans aren’t doing enough self-flagellation over colonialism, even though Germany only had one African colony.
* Org chem is hard enough on this planet, much less in the center of the galaxy.
* If these things are confirmed, they’ll probably be classified as TNOs or Plutinos, rather than actual planets.
* Bad science. Even if it was in true Earth orbit, and it’s not, it still wouldn’t be called a moon, just an asteroid that happens to be in Earth’s gravity well.
* The John Candy movie of that title was interesting, but forgettable. The TV series of the same name that attempted to cash in on the movie’s fifteen was a one season ratings flop. So of course the thing to do is reboot it.
But here’s the twist: They’re rebooting it around black people. Which means handicapping its ratings and longevity potential…all bets are off. I thought “Blackish,” also on ABC, where the black-oriented reboot of “Uncle Buck” will be, would be gone by Christmas…of 2014, as race and ethnic humor has a short shelf life, viz: Andrew Dice Clay, and Sasha Baron Cohen’s Borat character. (Millennial be like: Who the hell is Andrew Dice Clay, and my response be like: My point exactly.) Instead, it’s been a ratings hit, and this fall, it will start its third season.
Though once certain people find out about this, they’ll want to take it up as a sex position.
And bonus Pokemon points to me for both beginning and ending this weekend’s wrap-up with Pepe.