Several of you reading this post will want to do just that after you’ve made it to the end.
If I was living in Chicago and could vote in Chicago elections, I would vote for Rahm Emanuel today.
Hell, I might be able to vote in Chicago even though I don’t live there and am not registered to vote there. What would clinch the deal is if I was dead.
Here are the bullet points:
(1) The reasons that Rahm’s critics say that Rahm should be bounced out just don’t hold water. Even if the reasons Rahm tells us he should stay aren’t exactly dogs that hunt for me.
The school closings? They’re mad that the school closings meant that kids had to cross gang lines on their daily commutes. Does that mean that people think that illicit black hoodlums are supposed to have veto power over the city’s education policy? Are people’s wishes supposed to negate CPS budgetary reality? Really, we all know that the CTU is the only real political force that wants Rahm gone, because of the school closings. Chuy Garcia just happens to be their conduit in that attempt. However, anyone who has made an enemy of that openly Communist ghetto sowpottamus Karen Lewis has to have some good in him.
The murders in the black parts of town, the south side and the west side? Like I’m supposed to believe that Rahm pulls the triggers in all of them. Rahm is no more responsible for them than I am.
(2) I never liked Rahm when he had any sort of Federal power. Either in Clinton’s White House, in Congress, or Obama’s Chief of Staff. However, we have to realize that big city politics and state politics and national politics are very different animals. This is one big reason why I’m not on board the Scott Walker bandwagon, because his mostly good accomplishments as Wisconsin Governor don’t scale well up to national politics. On the other hand, bad national political figures can do okay down on the lower levels, Rahm is one of them.
I do find it amusing that all the people that are Rahm’s political enemies in the Chicago-only context now are the same kind of people Rahm was happy to hang out with and use and manipulate against Republicans when he worked for Clinton and Obama and for House Democrats. Again, it speaks to the concept of homeostatic equilibrium. Rahm is solidly on the left in national terms, but on the right by Chicago standards. Everything we don’t like about Rahm nationally certainly wouldn’t get any better with Chuy Garcia. Remember, George Wallace isn’t on this ballot.
(3) Chuy Garcia is a Mex married to a PR. His winning would signal a lot of bad tidings for us on the immigration issue.
(4) Garcia also doesn’t seem to know what he wants to do with the office of Chicago Mayor. That’s a function of him being able to walk and chew gum at the same time while being the conduit of the anybody-but-Rahm caucus, which is like I said above, almost entirely CTU and Karen Lewis backed. If Garcia had to rely only on the ZOMG GREAT HISPANIC VOTER TIDAL WAVE LOL~!!!!!1, he would have never even made the runoff.
OTOH, Rahm just plain ole knows what he’s doing.
That’s actually an object lesson for our people. No matter the political system, nobody’s going to trust us with power if all we do is bitch about the way things are. If all we do is bitch all day along about black crime and non-white immigration, that might take us a long way, but it’s not enough to get enough people to trust us enough to give us the keys to a a $4 trillion government in a $17 trillion economy.
Rahm will most likely win today because Chicago has an $15.7 billion total public budget (city government plus CPS) and a $525 billion city economy, and the voters that matter will trust him more than than Jesus Chuy with the keys to its ignition.
(5) CPD Supernintendo Garry McCarthy is a hack and a kook. (“Sarah Palin’s reality show and the Pilgrims are to blame for black crime in Chicago”). But, as we found out a few weeks ago, and in spite of numerous denials that they were doing this or ever wanted to do it, the CPD is doing SQF. Chuy Garcia’s CPD Supernintendo (Garcia would fire McCarthy, only because Rahm hired him) won’t do SQF. He or she won’t, especially if Garcia winds up winning today on the strength of black voters.